Mama Kitty’s Cheesy Leek Breadsticks
First off, I come from a culinary background where I cooked and catered within a variety of environments. From small gatherings of only a handful of people to large functions that fed a crowd, I saw to it nobody had a reasonable excuse to not fill their bellies!
Upon my many experimentations with recipes, I tweaked the classic breadsticks into something a bit jazzier. This was done as a direct request by one client who wanted me to focus on a mix of Irish and Welsh, along with a hint of Italian.
And so, I did! I had little idea at the time this wound up becoming a popular request once the word got out how yummy the cheesy leek breadsticks were!
Before we proceed, located near the bottom of this article are ingredient substitutions that have Gluten-Free Diets, Yeast-Free Diets, as well as Dairy Substitution Diets in mind.
Recipe For Cheesy Leeky Breadsticks
4 cups flour
1 cup lukewarm water
3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup finely diced leeks
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Mix all the above-mentioned ingredients together and form a ball of dough. Coat the dough with approximately 1/4 cup’s worth of extra virgin olive oil. The best bet is to roll this around at the bottom of a bowl, then simply cover it with a piece of plastic wrap. Let the dough rise until it has tripled in volume. (Times vary according to room temperature, so simply keep watch.)
- Punch down the dough. Make sure there are no bubbles after you are finished.
- Cut down the dough until each piece is measured into little balls weighing at 2-ounces.
- Roll each piece out on a flat surface, using the flats of your hands to do so. It’s recommended you spread your fingers apart as you roll, stretching the dough from end to end.
- Place the rolled dough pieces on floured sheet pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 350 degrees until pale brown. (Approximately 45 minutes, but keep watch, preferably every 10-15 minutes)
Pair It Up!
Hey, pair up the Cheesy Leek Breadsticks with Mama Kitty’s Cheesy Potato w/Leek Soup and you have yourself a great combo!
Yeast-Free Cheesy Leek Breadsticks
If you (or someone you know) is allergic to yeast, or simply can’t have it, replace the yeast with equal parts baking powder. While this method won’t give the exact same texture to the breadstick after baked, it still does the job and it still tastes great!
Gluten-Free Cheesy Leek Breadsticks
For people on a gluten-free diet, simply replace the regular flour with a gluten-free option. The linkable pic here features my favorite brand in this regard as I find the end result isn’t as chalky as many other options are.
Canadian? Click me instead!
Whether you’re lactose intolerant or prefer to go the vegan route, my top recommendation to replace the Parmesan cheese would be from Flavor God Seasonings. Not only is it vegan, but gluten-free at the same time! It’s a top-seller for a reason!
(Canadians, click here instead!)
Want Wine? (Goes great with the breadsticks!)